Keurig machines can be found in almost every household. The reason is these are simple to use, cost-effective and provides with a great coffee without any hassle. Though there are number of coffee makers that provide you with an ultimate taste and ease of use, but Kuerig has evolved as a universal brand in the field of coffee making. However, a common question from first-time users is, “How to use a Keurig coffee maker?”
In this ultimate guide, you will find all the basics as well as some advanced steps to use a Keurig coffee maker with ease. At the end, you will also find some of the best and recommended Keurig coffee makers having every required function.
What is Keurig Coffee Maker?
Keurig (derived from Dutch word “Excellence”) is a famous brand in the name of coffee-making. Keurig coffee makers are the universal coffee makers that provides with number of functions and brew a coffee in just few seconds to minutes. One of the main advantage of Keurig coffee machines is hundreds of K-cups options to choose from. Moreover, these coffee makers are simple and user friendly. In short, these coffee machines are the most reliable ones that will satisfy your coffee addiction.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Using Keurig Coffee Maker
Whether you are using a Keurig coffee maker for first time or for daily brewing, follow the given steps to enjoy a cup of coffee:
Step 1: Keurig Initial Setup
In order to use Keurig coffee machine for first use, one has to carry out the initial setup. For this purpose, you have to do the following steps:
- Unbox your Keurig coffee brewer and remove the adhesive tape that is holding some of the components.
- There will be a User Manual in the box, which contains detailed information regarding your specific Keurig model. You need to keep this for future usage and troubleshooting.
- Some Keurig coffee makers come with a temporary shipping disc in the pod add-on. This disc may be found on some models; then lift the handle to remove it. (Keep this disc inside the box; just don’t throw it away).
- Now place your coffee maker near some power outlet. Connect a machine’s power cord to the power outlet, the machine will be powered up and ready to use.
Step 2: Performing a Cleansing Brew
After initial setup, in order to use the Keurig Coffee machine, you must carry out the cleansing brew. It is advised to carry out cleansing brew after or before each usage to ensure a clean and hygienic coffee every time. For this purpose, follow the given steps:
- Some of the Keurig coffee makers come with a fixed reservoir, however, a majority of these are equipped with removable reservoirs. If the reservoir is fixed, just fill it with water and give it a good rinse. In case of removable reservoirs, remove it, fill it with soap and water, and give it a good rinse using soft cloth or sponge.
- At the base of water reservoir you will find the water entry point. Clean this part as well to ensure there is no dirt blocking the flow.
- Several Keurig coffee makers are equipped with Charcoal water filters. These filters are not to be opened and placed directly in the water filter holder. Rather one must first rinse and soak it under cool water for a minute or two, then soak it inside a water bowl for 5 minutes and then massage it to remove any loose charcoal particles. Then insert this filter into water filter holder and use the handle to snap everything at the perfect place.
- Now if your coffee maker has a charcoal water filter, you can fill it directly with a tap water. On other hand, if there is no such filter, then make sure to fill the reservoir with filtered water up to the max fill line.
- Press the power button and let the machine run for some time (for pre-heating process). Depending on each coffee maker, this step may take from about 20 seconds to 3.5 minutes.
- Grab a cup (preferably a larger one) and place it on the drip tray
- As we are just cleansing, so without applying any coffee pod, lift and lower the handle.
- In brew setting, select Maximum size (make sure you have placed a larger cup) and press brew button.
- After brew is completed, waste the output in the cup. This will ensure the cleansing brew of Keurig coffee machine.
Step 3: Selecting Your Coffee
Depending on different models of Keurig Coffee maker, you will have different coffee types to select from. The company boasts over 400 different varieties of coffee as well as more than 60 brands of beverages and other products through its own and licensed brands. In terms of brewing, Keurig has two different variants:
- Keurig 1.0: Compatible with all K-Cup pods and brews K-Cups pods only.
- Keurig 2.0: Compatible with all Keurig licensed pods and brews K-Cup, K-Mug, K-Vue and K-Carafe pods.
So select a coffee pod, which is compatible with your coffee machine.
Step 4: Inserting K-Cup into the Machine
Lift the handle of the Keurig coffee maker to insert your favorite K-Cup. Lifting the handle reveals a pod slot that looks like a round chamber. Here insert your favorite coffee pod and push the lifted lid down.
Almost all coffee pods come with a foil lid. Some people tend to remove this foil before inserting into the coffee machine. However, this is a wrong practice because every Keurig is already equipped with a special piercing needle, which removes such foils before brewing. If you remove the foil yourself, before inserting into the Keurig, then the K-cup holder will be splattered with coffee.
Step 5: Placing Your Cup at the Drip Tray
Drip tray is one of the most important part of any coffee maker. In keurig, this tray is placed just under the condenser and used as a tray for placing coffee cup. Moreover, it also serves as a container to catch any coffee drops to avoid spillage.
In some Keurig coffee machines, this tray is removable. So, if your cup cannot be adjusted, you can easily remove this tray and place your coffee cup directly. In case of a fixed drip tray, it is advised to use a cup that can be adjusted easily on the drip tray.
Step 6: Selecting Desired Brew Settings
Depending on each Keurig model, you will have freedom to choose among a number of options. Some of these settings include:
- Brew temperature
- Bold Selector button
- Beverage type selector
So go ahead and select your desired brew settings.
Step 7: Selecting the Desired Brew Size
In Keurig coffee makers, there are different size options for different models. Typically these range from 6 to 12 oz. having 6, 8, 10 and 12 oz. brew size options. Most of Keurig coffee makers can brew even a full carafe. So just select your desired brew size by pressing the respective size button.
For first time usage, it is always recommended to start with the smallest size. In this way, you will come to know the exact size of the brew inside your cup. In addition, if you choose the largest size initially, it is highly likely that you are using the small cup, and the large brew will cause spills from overflowing.
Step 8: Start Brewing
Once you push the brew size button, the machine will take some time in pumping the water. After few seconds, it will start providing hot, flavorful and fresh coffee in your cup.
Step 9: Removing the Coffee Pod
Once the brewing is complete and you have your fresh coffee inside your cup, it is time to remove the pod. To do this, just lift the coffee maker’s lid, remove the used coffee pod and discard it. If you want to remove the next batch of coffee, simply insert another coffee pod and repeat the above steps.
Once you are finished with brewing, leave the pod chamber open for some time to let it dry completely.
Keurig Coffee Machines Instructions: Do they Differ by Model?
The best thing about Keurig coffee makers is the versatile operational nature. Each Keurig coffee machine is very user friendly and has almost similar operational instructions (only with some slight differences).
As mentioned before, one of the main difference between different Keurig models is the different K-cup variants. i.e. Keurig 1.0 and Keurig 2.0. One of the main difference between the two is size. Keurig 1.0 uses smaller pods as compared to 2.0. Moreover, there are some other basic differences between the two. As 2.0 is the modern and recent one, so coffee machines with this variant are definitely equipped with some more control options.
Other than that, one can easily follow the above instructions for almost all Keurig models without any hassle.
Keurig Auto-On & Auto-Brew modes
One of the best feature in some Keurig models is the Auto-ON and Auto Brew modes. The Auto-On and Auto-Off features are used to program the coffee maker to turn On or Off automatically.
Using the Auto-On feature, the coffee maker is adjusted such that it pre-heats the system well in time. In this way, once you wake up, you can just walk over to your coffee maker and brew a cup without wasting any time. However, this feature is not for brewing the coffee automatically. Similarly, with Auto-Off feature, the coffee machine is turned off automatically after some time of brewing, which helps a lot in energy saving.
Unlike Auto-On feature, the Auto-brew feature lets you prepare a batch of coffee automatically at some specific time. This feature is becoming very famous in some of the latest Keurig models.
Keurig Coffee Maker Regular Maintenance
In order to have a better lifespan, regular maintenance of a Keurig coffee maker must be ensured. If there is no maintenance or poor maintenance, any coffee machine can go bad just within few months. In regular maintenance, following practices can be ensured:
- Rinsing and cleaning the water reservoir and lid properly after each usage.
- Deep cleaning of pod assembly, entry and exit needles, drip tray and coffee exterior at least once a week.
- Proper rinsing of drip tray in the sink at least once in 2-3 weeks.
- In every 60 to 75 days or reaching brew limits of 1000 oz., you must change the charcoal filter.
- Similarly, in every 2 to months, perform de-scaling of your coffee machine. There are several different methods to perform this deep cleansing. One can use just water or vinegar or some other suggested methods. You may read some of these recommended methods from the link below.
Recommended to Read: How to Clean any Coffee Maker without Vinegar
Keurig Internal Water Tank Draining
If you have planned not to use your Keurig coffee machine for more than 1 week, then you must drain the internal water tank completely. This will avoid any mold or fungus growth, which may result in damaging the machine.
Best Keurig Coffee Makers
Some of the latest and best Keurig coffee makers that you can buy without any hesitation are:
How to Use a Keurig for First Time – Final Thoughts
In this ultimate guide, you can easily learn how to use a Keurig coffee maker for first time. Not only this, but you can also use this guide for using a Keurig for daily use brewing. However, it is advised to carry out a regular maintenance of your coffee makers to have a longer lifetime. If you have any confusion at any point, ask freely in comments section.